The Church of the Holy apostles Peter and Paul in Dublin

The parish of the Russian Orthodox Church in the temple on Harolds Cross was opened in November 2001 after the visit to Ireland of Metropolitan Kirill. The consecration took place in February 2003.

Episcopal Church Harold’s Cross. It was built in 1838 by the architects John and Louche and R. W. Tough. South-Western bell tower was added in 1914, but in the last 15 years has been dismantled for safety reasons. The first priest in 1838, was James Robert McGhee, and the rectory at the intersection of Harold’s Cross Road and Leinster Road West was built between 1875 and 1880 for years. The castle-like granite building may give some the wrong idea about interior decoration of the temple. Painted in blue corrugated ceiling is supported by slender columns. Melodic organ adorns the rear gallery. Many beautiful colored Windows, some of whom are recognized as one of the most beautiful in 1960. This window was made well-known Irish painter on glass Catherine A. O’brien of the art Studio An Tur Gloine (tower of glass). She died in 1936. Her work is called “Good Samaritan” that characterizes the area of Harold’s Cross for charity in favor of a shelter “The Poor Clares”. Basically all existing fireplaces can still be seen on the ground floor and the gallery.

Most likely, they were a pretty big problem for Church leaders in those days, when there was no Central heating. The Church was closely associated with the movement of boy scouts. Still preserved collection of posters and flags. In previous days, the soldiers from Portobello barracks (now – Cathal Brugha) marched on Harold’s Cross Road at the Church to participate in special worship services. Huge basement for a long time served as elementary school and sometimes used for bowling and Billiards. But in the 70 years had to stop using the premises for these purposes due to severe flooding from the river Poddle which flows right behind the wall of the temple. Hurricane Claire in 1986 also caused severe flooding. Lying near Harold’s Cross Laundry and the mill in the past helped to cope with the flow of the river.
One of the former parishioners was Mr. Coulter, who worked as a gravedigger at the cemetery that is on the back of the temple. The Church has organized various social events and trips to the bunk buses, where you could always count on the fact that the accordion Mr. Kultura will not make bored passengers. Quiet summer evenings his accordion playing, bringing pleasure to many neighbors. The Anglican Church Harold’s Cross has received the status of the parish in 1903, and in 1977 became part of the parish of Rathmines. Later Protestant community has declined sharply, and the Church was closed on June 27, 2001 special service of thanksgiving, conducted by the Archbishop of the Catholic Church Dublin Dr. Walton Empey.
The parish of the Russian Orthodox Church in the temple on Harolds Cross was opened in November 2001 after the visit to Ireland of Metropolitan Kirill. The consecration took place in February 2003.
Regular services are held: Saturday – Liturgy at one of the assigned parishes (cork, Waterford, Galway), all-night vigil and Sunday divine Liturgy (in two languages, Church Slavonic and English) are also in a Great feast, the days of remembrance are especially revered saints and all souls. Weekly, receiving about 150-200 people during the holidays – up to 1000 people (Easter, Christmas). During the existence of the parish is committed: Baptism (300), Wedding (30), the Funeral (15). The composition of the parish is multinational: Russians, Ukrainians, Moldovans, Georgians, Serbs, Irish, French. Became Orthodox about 20 people from Western countries.

Operates a secondary school at the Church, the purpose of which is to maintain the Russian language and culture in Russian-speaking families. Currently the number of students – about 70 people. All school teachers are professional teachers with more seniority and experience of teaching their disciplines.

Operates a parochial school, library and Church shop, where in addition to candles and icons presented around 300 books in two languages. Every week the parish newsletter, updated web site, are carried out pastoral conversations and the gospel reading in Russian and English languages. Every month a page of “Orthodoxy” in the Russian-speaking newspaper.