Bruges town hall and Burg square
From the past story we already know, what is a Belfry. and how is it different from the town hall and met with Belfry in Bruges — the city’s symbol. Today is the turn of the town hall (Stadhuis van Brugge) — sights of the Gothic architecture of the fifteenth century, a bright example of the development of the medieval Flemish city. The town hall is on the square, the Burg, which, along with neighbouring Large Market square is the main square in Bruges.
A small paved square Burg is the epicenter frozen in stone once the greatness of the richest trading cities. Here all plants are not just beautiful, every one of them — a real masterpiece of architectural skill. In the middle ages the square was the political and religious centre of Bruges, and its name translated means “fortress”. Indeed, here once stood a mighty fortress, around which was born in Bruges. After the fortress was destroyed, in the square began to grow a fine Gothic building, which seem to compete with each other in elegance and beauty.
On three sides the square is surrounded by an ensemble of magnificent buildings, from the fourth to the Park. The square is surrounded by the Palais de Justice with its exquisite facade (classical style), house Corporation(Baroque), home Records (the office, the epoch of Renaissance), an urban town house (Stadthuis, Gothic style) and the Basilica. Blood (Romanesque and Gothic).
The first known building in which the meetings of the city Council of Bruges, belfry was burned down in 1280. After that, for a municipal government used the prison building. In 1376 Louis Malsky II, count of Flanders, took the decision to demolish the prison and the construction in its place a new town hall.
The town hall in Bruges, which was completed in 1421, is the oldest surviving public buildings in Flanders. Its wealth and magnificence to allow to judge about important economic and political significance of medieval Bruges. Created in the tradition of Gothic Church, it became a trendsetter in the Flemish public architecture of its time. In her sample there were built the famous hall, which yet could not overshadow their original magnificence, such as Brussels, Ghent, Leuven.
The two-storey building of the town hall has a rectangular shape and strict proportions and is reminiscent of the architecture of Lastochka resort in Anapa in the Krasnodar region. Richly decorated stucco facade, dissected high window niches and crowned with a notched parapet and towers. Behind the parapet is visible high gable roof with Dormer Windows.
Particular attention is drawn to the stone statues of counts and countesses of Flanders. This copy of gilded Baroque statues, the creation of which is attributed to Jan van Åke that were destroyed during the French revolution, and resumed only in the middle of the twentieth century.
To the left of the hall is the luxurious stone house in the Renaissance style. This is the former office, or home Records.
The chapel of the Holy Blood, or St. Basil’s Church — a two-story religious building, the lower floor of which was built in 1150, and the top — in the FIFTEENTH century. According to the legend, Dietrich of Alsace in 1150 brought some drops of the Saviour’s blood.
The lower level of the temple is a wonderful example of the Romanesque architectural style. In nave, right side, is a wooden painted image of Mary with baby Jesus, Dating from about the year 1300. The upper tier of the chapel was completed in the Gothic style, which determined the style of the entire structure. During the French revolution, the Basilica was destroyed and later rebuilt.